Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485
The Subclass 485 visa is work visa for those international students who completed their 2 years of study in Australia. This is the right way to extend your stay in Australia who wants to improve their chances of becoming eligible for a permanent residency or provisional skilled visa.
For Temporary Graduate Subclass 485 Visa, there are two eligibility streams:
• Graduate Work Stream: For Graduate Work Stream, criteria are same as the 485 Graduate
Skilled visa as it was prior to March 2013.
• Post Study Work Stream: For Post Study Work Stream, this eligibility stream was
introduced in March 2013 for those students who applying for their first student visa after 5
November 2011 and commonly referred to as the Post Study Work Visa (PSWV).
There are a number of criteria which are common to both the PSWV (Post Study Work) stream and
the Graduate Work Stream:
• Age: The main visa applicant should be under age of 50 at the date of lodgment.
• English: The main visa applicant should show their English language ability, either through
holding certain types of passport or by undertaking an English language test. Note that
evidence of threshold English must be provided at date of lodgment.
• Study in Australia: You must meet requirement of 2 years of study in Australia and have
completed qualifications within 6 months of time period for applying the Graduate Subclass
• Points Test: The subclass 485 visa is not points-tested Temporary Graduate Visa.
Do I Apply in Australia or Overseas?
The main visa applicant must be in Australia when they apply for a 485 visa application, and must have held an eligible student visa within the 6 month of time period prior to lodgment.
You can consider the following types of family members in your application:
• You can consider your spouses, defacto partners and same-sex partners
• You can consider your dependent children
Duration And Conditions
Duration of the 485 visa will depend on some circumstances.
• Gradate Work stream visas are valid for 18 months from the date of application issue.
• Post Study Work Stream (PSWV) duration depends on which qualification had been
completed. It is as follows:
➢ 2 Years: Completion of Bachelor Degree, Bachelor with Honors’, Masters by
Coursework or Masters (Extended)
➢ 3 Years: Masters by Research
➢ 4 Years: Doctorate
Longer visas for regional studies
Australia Immigration has announced that from November 2019, international students who complete their studies at regional universities will be eligible for longer 485 visas. The add-on time will depend on where the studies were undertaken.
NOTE: You have unrestricted work rights in Australia. You must also maintain private health insurance for the entire period of visa.
How can HFE assist you?
HFE Immigration Pvt Ltd has significant expertise in any visa applications. Please book a consultation with one of our advisors, if you would like HFE to assist you with your visa application,please book you appointment or CLICK HERE FOR FREE ASSESSMENT